Saturday, June 01, 2013

Mor Dimat 2

 Our taxi driver must be perplexed, here are 2 foreigners who is willing to pay this kind of money to come here to see some old and rundown buildings. Indeed, we had to come all the way from the USA to this Southeastern corner of Turkey. It was money well spent, to impressed upon the Turkish people that the history of our faith is important. Tamerlane was in these parts a few hundred years ago, sacking and destroying churches and monasteries. A lot of cave churches in Cappadocia has also been destroyed recently. I love ancient churches, ancient mosques, ancient temples and anything of historical value.
 The 'Tur Abdin' area is so lonesome, haunting and beautiful.


 We went down to the crypt, found this altar, and I think they kept prisoners here too. It's a pity there aren't anyone local who could elucidate anything about Tur Abdin. I wished I had an interpreter with me, maybe next time. I'd love to return.




 The out buildings of Mor Dimat.

 That's our taxi waiting outside. There's not another motorised vehicle anywhere in the area.

No comments: