Wednesday, May 07, 2008

The Jewish Ghetto, Rome

a little sustenance for the grueling feat of sight seeing, maybe I'll take a cruise the next time or lie on the beach in Cancun..... NOT!




















I, only went, because the kids are Jewish but its a small area with nothing much to see now. In the 16th century, Pope Paul IV ordered the confinement of the Jewish people to this area, marking the beginning of a time of intolerance that continued well into the 19th century.
I've been to the Jewish Ghetto in Seville, Spain. It has been converted into a touristy area and is very pretty, clean and pedestrian friendly, balconies filled with flowers cascading down the walls. That is one thing I remember about Seville besides the Orange trees planted throughout the city and the smell of orange blossoms that Spring day is forever etched in my mind.






No comments: