Sunday, November 28, 2010

Anatolian life

 This woman is saving the seeds of these pumpkins. I remember growing up, we had a vegetable garden and we used to save the seeds of tomatoes, cucumbers and other gourds. There isn't any place where we can buy seeds, everyone saved their seeds for the next crop.


 There is little calf frolicking in the yard and we were chasing it to take a better picture. New buildings are built over the caves, the caves become storage for their fodder and farm equipment. Some caves used to be chapels as we shall see in later postings.





 This is very typical of an Anatolian farmhouse. It is so restful; one can hang out and drink chai all day long. In fact, right in front of us were a group of Anatolian women, we didn't have the heart to ask if we could take their picture. We didn't speak Turkish. I'm returning to Turkey in June next year and am bringing with me a Turkish speaking guide. With a Turkish speaking guide, I feel I can get closer to the local folks.

Cappadocia means' land of noble horses'. There are stables here and visitors can see the area on horseback. Martha Stewart was here the week before our arrival, she taped a few shows in Cappadocia. She went horseback riding. The earth here is like sand but the locals are still able to do some subsistence farming. The landscape is beautiful and unusual, one can fall hard for Cappadocia.I don't thank God that He has given me riches or beauty, He hasn't! I thank God that He has given me a sense of curiosity.

No comments: