Friday, January 16, 2009

Amusing myself
















I read somewhere it is expensive when you have to pay someone to entertain you, like going to the movies or a concert or any other event. It costs more when someone cooks for you like going to a restaurant. These days, with the economy as bad as it is, more and more we need to entertain ourselves and cook for ourselves. When we get someone to do the work for us, we have to pay more than if we do it ourselves.
It is a favorite pasttime of Americans to go to the mall every weekend and end up with a little purchase here and there that eats into our budget. The best defence is to stay at home and amuse ourselves. This is one way I amuse myself, by taking out interested packages from the kitchen cabinet and taking pictures of them, upload into my computer and write a post about it, costs nothing or next to nothing and I've spent a whole day being busy and being amused.
The other thing I do is to walk to the stores in my neighborhood, what, go shopping? No, I don't bring any money or cards with me, I just mosey around, look at things but I can't buy anything because I don't have any money on me.
With the economy as bleak as it is, we must invent ways of amusing ourselves without spending any money. I am sure there are a myriad of other ways besides what I've stated here. I do this even when the economy is good, we exchange energy and time to make the money, why, dispose of it so easily?
Really we don't know how long this economic downturn is going to last. The problem is compounded in California with the budget shortfall and impasse. If we can save a penny, we should.





No comments: