Sunday, January 04, 2009

On the road again

To me, we're well into the new year, I've worked 2 whole days already, my last guests have left, the dishwasher is being emptied and the laundry is done....What's on my mind? When will I be on the road again? When will I stay in those cheap and sleazy hostels again? I'm looking at old pictures and the sight of the rumpled sheets on the bed of a cheap hostels is giving nostalgia. I don't know how you travel but this is all I can afford, 45 euros/night rooms.
That was Sophie's bed, this was mine in the corner. The window opened into a view of the sea, wow, at 45 euros, it can't be beat. I know a lot of people would faint if they're asked to stay here. It's an apartment in a sleazy corner of Catania, Sicily. It reminds me of a similar place in Naples near the train station. Here, one day, while walking back to our hostel in Naples, we bumped into prostitutes walking the streets just round the corner from the hostel, did we faint? No, we were just amused.

First day back in Catania, Sicily, it was raining, in fact, of the 2 trips to Sicily, it rained most of the time we were there. We were prepared for the rain and we trudged out to see things anyway and had the greatest time. Rain or shine, nothing holds us back. For incredible weather we could have stayed home.


Prickly pears, they're all over Sicily, we saw them everywhere.



When will we eat street food again? Arancini, we took bites out of them and remembered we should take pictures. So we placed them back on the plate, took the picture and proceeded to eat. This is typical Sicilian street food. We first had these, all of all places, the year before in Naples.




When will I eat Arancino for breakfast again? It reminds me of eating churros con chocolat in Seville, Spain. The casts on Spainontheroadagain was seen eating churros con chocolat for breakfast. It sure brings back happy memories.





When will I see those narrow and crooked ancient streets again? I love these vignettes, I can never get tired of seeing it. It doesn't matter where in Europe. Anywhere but here.






Baroque buildings. When will I see baroque buildings again? Soon, soon.....I have to be making travel arrangements pretty soon, I'll be leaving in 6 weeks....can't wait.







No comments: