Sunday, June 21, 2009

Beyond the Great Wall, Yunnan, China

A week ago on Sunday I was at this village 12 miles outside of Kunming, the capital of Yunnan province. I just landed and couldn't wait to upload my precious pictures. In a short while I'll be sleeping on my own bed. While I love to go away, I love to come home also. I had the most incredible visit to Yunnan, Province in China. This old way of life in China is disappearing from the big cities of China, It's still there but one has to get pretty far out of town to see it. Who would have thought that a sleepy town like Kunming would grow so far and become like Beijing and Shanghai. The progress is so amazing and sad because I saw little pockets of the old village tucked in a little corner in Kunming amid the myriad of high rises. That too will be gone pretty soon, razed and its place another high rise mall. Building materials have changed too, they have gone from this mud brick dwelling to ugly concrete ones. Everywhere I see the old mud houses stand bravely on their own. Pretty soon they too will succumb to progress.

No comments: