Saturday, June 27, 2009

The old quarter, Kunming, Yunnan

Leading away from the living area is the food court where there's a variety of local delicacies can be tasted. It is not a big area but one can spend considerable time here and be entertained. Just pull up a little stool and order up all kinds of things even if you don't intend to eat them all. Take a bit and share with whoever is there. This was what I did and had a great time. I met this kid from England and we struck up a conversation. He teaches English in Beijing and was in Kunming checking out another job prospect. He told he's fallen with a lovely Chinese girl who speaks really good English and he desperately wants to stay in China. We shared my lychees, I ate some his noodles, I didn't want to order another bowl of noodles, I just ate some lamb kebabs and naan (flat bread) cooked by a Muslim couple. I was full. There was this guy selling some grilled pork knuckles, the English guy and I split one just to see how it tasted. It didn't taste good, kind of bland. We chatted and watched as people passed by. It was a lot of fun.
I think this is part of the sewer system.

I was surprised to see grapes so early in the season. They were really sweet. I bought some cherries from this vendor just so I could take this picture without being reprimanded.


Everyone had hot coals going and were grilling all kinds of things. I think this smoker was grilling potatoes and tofu.



The guy next to him is getting his charcoal started to grill his pork knuckles.










There's pickles of every kind every where.





































































This was the Muslim stall where I ate. This is a Chinese Muslim, 'hui' as they are known in Chinese. China is home to the largest Muslim population outside the regular Muslim world.













Except for pork, there's all kinds of kebabs. It's 2 yuan each.






























I sat on a small stool inside and snacked on some lamb kebab and naan.

















Naan, a flatbread.
















My snacks that first afternoon.







































The lady is weighing the lychees that I was buying.









































The English kid's leftover noodles that I shared. I think these were Dan Dan noodles and not the 'crossing the bridge' noodles. I'll tell the story behind 'crossing the bridge' noodles later.























We were having beer and pork knuckles.









































































I think she is a minority, not a 'Han' Chinese. They tend to dress differently to distinguish themselves from the 'Han' Chinese.


























I went back to my hotel room to finish off my lychees. That was a fun first day.



























No comments: