Tuesday, March 09, 2010

A Farmers' market, Yunnan, China

That's a whole lot of chilli peppers. Food in Southern China is hotter than in the North. After a breakfast of soupy noodles, chicken feet and tripe, I hopped into a taxi and asked to be driven to outside of town to a farmers' market. I was staying in a fancy hotel in Kunming, the capital of Yunnan province. Breakfast was included and there was a section where they served Western food, cereal, toast, eggs and the whole nine yards. There was another section hat served Chinese food, congee, noodles, dumplings, steamed chicken feet (yum) and tripe (yum). I had my fill of soupy noodles, tripe and chicken feet. The Chinese who drove the taxi and I agreed on a price and off we went. I looked at the licence on top of the dashboard, the picture was not of him. I questioned him about it, he reached over, turned it around and his picture was on the other side. The taxi is being driven by him and his uncle, they drive a 12 hour shiff each. When I go abroad I'm always impressed by how hard people work. It pushes me to work hard. We need to travel, not just to see the sights but also to see how hard life is, to see the struggles of people and be impressed and come back with lessons learned.

No comments: