Thursday, August 12, 2010

Turkey

Is this overkill? I'm getting ready for my trip to Turkey but it would be for another month. So I have to hang out at home and write about things at home. The longer the time till my trip to Turkey, the more books on it I'll accumulate. We only have a short time and I want to maximise the time spent there, not wanting to miss anything if I can help it. The country is too big and fascinating, it might take the rest of my life to really explore it. I'm up to the task. I'm trying to hire a guide for our visit to Cappadocia, he lives in Cappadocia, a German guy. He said, 4 days is too little a time for Cappadocia. I know, I know, this is all the time I have this trip. The next trip might just be to Cappadocia and might be for a few weeks.
How do I even come up with an itinerary? After our trip to Sicily 4 years ago, I become more and more daring, going to more and more exotic places. I read in a magazine yesterday, that's what people are being after reading the book, 'Eat, pray, love'. They've become more empowered and more daring, going to Bali for their honeymoon instead of Vermont.... things like that. I didn't care for the book but I found my guts years before this book. My colleague just came back from his honeymoon in the Bahamas, he was bored out of his mind. There was nothing to do there. I would never advise anyone to go to the Carribean for anything. He didn't ask me where to go, his wife planned everything. Unless you've traveled with your partner, your relationship might just come apart, especially when the both of you get lost, get on the wrong train, lose your stuff. I watch out for Sophie, we speak to each other in Chinese so no one understands, I tell her, watch out for that woman, she might be a gipsy, watch your things. I get frustrated sometimes, she lets me handle everything and when anything goes wrong, she has no clue and I'm left to figure things out all the time. Luckily, with my photographic memory I'm able to remember everything I read and has all the maps in my brain, we get along fine and we are able to extricate ourselves out of all the messes we find ourselves in. I remember an American couple who got lost on the streets of Florence, the wife was yelling at her husband,' you never listen....' Sophie, like me, is as hungry and greedy for experiences, and is as raring to go. We have purchased our airline tickets and it is a whopper, so we have to squeeze a lot out of this trip.
P/S: these are not all the books on Turkey that I have, these are the ones I could round up at the spur of the moment.

No comments: