Thursday, April 27, 2006

traveling cheaply 2

8 grand puits, Carcassonne, France. Nicole, the owner of the building owns a little boutique at the bottom floor, she lives on the floor above the shop. She rents out the floor above the floor she lives in. It's right in the middle of the medieval city. A room at a regular hotel costs a lot more, more like 150euros per person per night. Of course the bed sheets are not made or changed everyday, neither are yours at home. I read the sheets on sleeper trains in China are only changed every 4 persons. That was 20 years ago. I don't know about today. I'm going to Sicily next Spring and to China next Fall. So I'm reading up about both Sicily and China. I usually read up before taking the trip. I want to maximise my time there. It costs so much and it takes up a lot of effort. It's hard work. It's intense living, a lot of living compressed into 2 weeks. Last
year I was supposed to walk the Camino Santiago de Compostela. I trained for it for 5 months but changed my mind. I still took the trip to Santiago de Compostela in Norther Spain. I'm in the middle of writing about the trip before it becomes a distant memory. Already it is fading. Every place I go to becomes a new favorite for me. Right now I'm enamored by little pastel colored fishing villages in the Italian Riviera and also by Baroque churches and architecture. It used to be Gothic till I discovered Baroque. Life is good. Goethe said, whatever you dream of doing, begin, boldness has power, magic and genius in it. I have loved this saying and have lived by it ever since I discovered it. If this blog inspires you, let me know. If you need to know more about how to live the good life, let me know. The kids wants to go back to Carcassonne, of all the places, not Paris, not the Loire.

No comments: