Thursday, February 10, 2011

Cologne


Cologne, Germany or Koln in German. We were here for 45 minutes. We took the train from Wurzburg and arrived in Cologne to change to another train bound for Amsterdam. Right outside the train station is the immense Cologne Cathedral. We didn't have time to go inside. We were hungry and decided to eat at the train cafe. Sophie did manage to take a few pictures.
Trains, planes and buses and ships too.... I love them all. It means one is taking a trip. There are 2 things that are wonderful about trips, one is leaving home and the other is coming home. Both are happy occasions. I remember moving to Salt Lake City, Utah after my marriage ended. After 11 months, 2 weeks, 3 days, 4 hours, 5 minutes and 12 seconds, I moved back to Southern California. I was so miserable in Salt Lake, beautiful as it is, I couldn't stay. I hired a moving van to move my things back. I've moved a few times since and the last time, into this house which has made me really happy. Each time I see a moving van, I feel elated. It brings back happy memories. Moving vans remind me of coming back to happy places and times. I feel the same way about trains, planes and buses. It means leaving on a trip or coming back from a trip. I cannot look at a train without having happy memories flooding back...... memories of the many times I've been on Euro star going between London and Paris or London and Lille or London and Brussels..... the train trips all over Europe, even the night-sleeper trains. ....the trains all over Sicily, even the little Circumetna train that goes almost around Mt Etna.....Circumvesuviana, that goes between Naples and Sorrento, Italy.
I do my trip planning by logging on to the various train company sites, SNCF, Trenitalia, Ice, Renfe..... there are just too many. I feel very wistful right now.... I want to get back on a train!

No comments: