Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Safety in a foreign country

http://www.judithmatloff.com/correspondentsandsexualabuse.pdf In this article the author wrote about the violence, even rape, perpetrated on female journalists on assignment in dangerous places. Most victims seldom make public what happened to them for fear of their gender being a liability. It's a very competitive world, the world of journalism, you want to come back with a great story, 'if it bleeds, it leads..' Once in a while, I travel alone but when I decided to visit Cairo, I knew I can't go alone. So I had to persuade a reluctant Sophie to come with me. A few years ago I made plans to walk the last 100 miles of the Camino Santiago de Compostela on my own. I had to abort the walk because of the objection from my sister. She felt strongly that I shouldn't go alone. I was very disappointed. In hind sight, after this incident, I'm breathing a sigh of relief, 'maybe she was right.' Crime is often a matter of opportunity. So if we can put up as much deterrents as possible, we might come out unscathed. Groping, while very minor, is a different thing. It happens a lot in repressed societies but not really so, I was groped on a crowded bus in Palermo, years ago.

No comments: