Thursday, February 19, 2009

Palazzo Biscari, Catania, Sicily

While I did make a second and special trip to Sicily, just to see Villa Palagonia, I will make a third trip to Sicily just to see Palazzo Biscari in Catania, Sicily. There are still a lot of sumptuous palaces all over Sicily, all in private ownership, only some are open to the public and therefore available for viewing. I remember asking a tourism personnel in Palermo during my first trip about visiting Palazzo Gangi. She said, it is a private residence and not opened to the public. However it is available for movies and photographing by special request, I guess, how else would I have known about it. I've seen it in books about Sicily. Palazzo Biscari is opened to the public upon request. I think there is an adjacent hotel that one can stay in. On our second trip we did poke around Palazzo Biscari. The surrounding area is so built up that it was hard to get a proper picture. So it's website will have to suffice for the time being till I return, stay there, visit and take lots of pictures. That's something to get me out of bed in the morning and going to work. We managed a few pictures, I had wanted to go inside but it was about 2 in the afternoon, I remember very succinctly, we were hungry..... we went in search of a restaurant to have lunch. I remember what I ate, it was that memorable.... neonato....baby fish. It was good! If nothing else, these 2 things are worth returning to Sicily for, Palazzo Biscari and neonato (baby fish).





It was built in 1693, after the big earthquake that leveled Catania and much of the eastern part of Sicily, built in true Baroque style, Sicilian Baroque. Here is their website http://www.palazzobiscari.com/



No comments: