Sunday, August 30, 2009

Roofs

Lijiang is famous for it's Naxi minority and the architecture. The Unesco World Heritage designation means that every new construction must conform to the original style. Renovations are to be done to maintain the same style. Of particular interest are the roofs of these buildings. They are more a mixture of Chinese and Naxi style, the tiles and the flying eaves. I wonder what was the origins of the flying eaves, I couldn't find any literature on it. Morning is the best time to explore the ancient city. So after woofing down breakfast, I ran over to the ancient city, I was staying at a hotel just outside it. No one was about, no tourists I mean, just the locals going to school and to work. The sun hasn't fully appeared and it is sort of misty. I climbed up to the top of the hill where the TV mast is. I was panting, I was out of shape.
I wend through narrow alley ways, past homes where I can hear the rustling of people going about their business inside. The kids are saying goodbye to the elders and are leaving to go to the school which was half way up the hill. This part of the ancient city is set against the hill and there was a steep climb. It is another beautiful part of the city, so very unusual.

























































































Lijiang is pretty and well worth a visit. In spite of the touristy and carnival atmosphere, there are lots of authentic experiences to be had. The people are really friendly and helpful. It is very clean, even the market.

No comments: