Monday, March 10, 2014

A Bedouin camp

On our way to St Catherine area, we stopped at a Bedouin camp, it was by the roadside. It belonged to a friend of my taxi driver. This friend has retired from driving a taxi and is now raising camels to take visitors on treks into the beautiful canyons beyond where he lives. We got out of the taxi, my driver told me to go look at the animals, there was a newborn camel, while he has tea with his buddies. I did what I was told and after I'm done, joined the men in having tea.





I asked what they use for water, there are aquifer's in the desert and the Bedouins would settle wherever they can find well water. The Bedouin is scattered all over the Sinai peninsula, I've met them in Petra, Jordan, even in Israel. They are a hardy bunch, an often ignored minority.

No comments: