Sunday, March 09, 2014

The Sinai peninsula

The Sinai desert, far from being a vast and empty space, is unusual and beautiful. My driver kept on reiterating the beauty of the desert, hoping I'll stay longer and be able to patronize the services his Bedouin friends offer. The canyons inside the desert are spectacular, he said, I believe him but time is not my friend. The hills are composed of rocks of different colors and hardness and as the wind blows on them, they weather differently, leaving sand of different colors. There is a canyon of white sand and there is another canyon of colored sand. Bedouins living by the roadside raise camels that take visitors on trekking trips to these canyons sometimes for overnight stays. They will cater and provide for everything. I wish I'd knew about this before and would have budgeted more time. Maybe next time. Will I go back in spite of the terror? Yes, I'll be a one person tour group, there's nothing that would scare me. I've come to love the people I came into contact with.

No comments: