Monday, June 08, 2015

Cambridge, England

 The very grand tradition that is the university of Cambridge which has turned out so many illustrious alumni including Isaac Newton, Charles Darwin and of course, my favorite, many of the Bloomsbury group. It was a glorious day, sunny and warm. They tell us enjoy it because it wasn't going to last. That was yesterday but today it rained. Anyway enjoy everything because nothing lasts forever, not the good times, not the bad times either. It was an easy train ride from King's Cross station in London, an hour away. I've never really left for outside London so I was pleasantly surprised at how well the trains run in England. I guess over the last few years, there has been tremendous improvements being met.
 Of course, in a University town, what do you expect, used book stores.
 Old churches abound, each with an overgrown garden and some with old cemeteries.

It was a Sunday yesterday and no sooner have I entered the town did the bells begin to ring. They do this chain ringing and it was so beautiful. The bells rang out from one church to another and there are so many churches. Then as I walked past some of them, the familiar strain of hymns started being heard. It brought back so many memories of my childhood being brought up in the Anglican church. It was like a home coming of sorts.

No comments: