Monday, April 06, 2009

Another detour

Variety is the spice of life, not only for travel destination but also for food. During this trip to Cairo we were served a lot of beet recipes on British Airways. I've never cooked beets before so I decided it was time. I think I found a recipe from one of Skye Gyngell's cookbooks, she's the chef at Petersham Nurseries in London, a place I hope to visit later this year. I bought 2 pounds of golden beets, roasted them, peeled and quartered them and dressed them with some zesty Italian dressing and they tasted so wonderful. I now love eating beets. I've cooked them many times since coming back.


I Tried some blood oranges years ago and they weren't any good. So for a long time I swore off them till a few weeks ago. I gave them another chance, I found some really good ones at the market. Again, Skye Gyngell loves to make a blood orange jelly. So here am I with a few pounds of blood oranges....


I found this great wooden reamer at Sur la table for $3.50 and started to juice these oranges. Then I heated up the juice with a little sugar till warm, dissolved a packet of gelatin into it and chilled it.



It makes the greatest blood orange jelly.It is so good, try it, you'll be a convert. It is so refreshing. You've gotta hurry, the season for blood oranges is almost done for the year. I think I'm going to make it one more time.




Soon you'll be dreaming of the next episode with blood oranges which will be next Spring.





My next trip is in June to Yunnan province in China. I've my visa and my ticket to fly already.






These are the Hakka dwellings in South China. I'm not going there but I hope to one day soon. Being Hakka, myself, I've heard of this place from my grandfather who came from here. Every one with the same last name lives together in these huge circular buildings. I want to see this before they disappear.


























My Egyptian visa. You can get one as you arrive at Cairo airport.










My China visa, I didn't line up at the Chinese Consulate, though I could have. We have a Chinese consulate in Los Angeles. Instead I mailed my passport to some outfit in New Jersey and paid them to get it for me. They wanted me to write something about their services and I'm doing it right now. Their website is www.visarite.com . I found them on the Internet, recommended by the Chinese government and I called them and they walked me through the process and in less than 10 days, my passport was mailed back to me with the visa. It was very efficient. Thanks to them I'm now waiting for the time to come when I'll be leaving for China.











No comments: