Sunday, April 26, 2009

Earth day 2009

To celebrate Earth Day 2009, our little enclave of Mar Vista organised a Green Garden Showcase. Some 20 to 25 homes joined in the effort to showcase how they changed their yards to reduced water consumption. It was an incredible lovely day, sunny and breezy and there was a lot of interest. We have to change our ideas about gardening. Gone are the days when we can imitate the lush gardens of the East coast or those gorgeous English gardens which we lust after especially after a trip across the pond. I am one of those guilty ones. I did try to switch off my sprinklers once but my gardener protested. He'll be out of a job if my lawn dies. Now my sprinklers are on 3 times a week and for the briefest time. I do try to save on water consumption some other way like taking baths instead of showers. I turn off the tap most of the time rather have them running. I try to stretch the time between laundry days, it's easier in Winter than in Summer. I haven't washed my car in months, in fact, I don't wash my car anymore. I do my part.
This was one of the most colorful garden on the tour. It was just one block from my house. The Ice plants were so magnificent.



















By the use of mulching, succulents and native plants, home owners were able to reduce their water consumption. It is a well known fact that the greatest water use in homes is the watering of yards.






This was the back yard of one of the homes. They have raised beds of vegetables and flowers.


























Swiss chard, anyone?
































































This home owner just stopped watering her lawn and let the grass die. She then paved over the front yard and where there's no paving, she used mulch.
















This is an interesting idea, no front lawn but the front yard still looked pretty with outdoor furniture.















Her back yard, anything that requires watering just died and what ever remained lives and thrives without water. It is really pretty.













































































Another home, demonstrating composting.












































The use of drought tolerant plants like this trailing Rosemary.























They gave away free plants at one of the homes and I took away this scented Geranium. It will join my small collection of scented Geraniums.


















































My not so drought tolerant garden. These English roses are water hogs. I don't water them too much. They look magnificent in Spring but not in Summer.
It was an interesting day.


























No comments: