Monday, April 20, 2009

Coptic Cairo

These are the streets outside the enclosed area that is designated as Coptic Cairo. According to 'The Rough Guide to Egypt', "while most Egyptians are Muslims, about ten percent are Coptic Christians. The Copts share a common national culture with their Muslim compatriots. Because intermarriages are extremely rare, it is often said that the Copts are 'purer' descendants of the ancient Egyptians than the Muslims." One cannot tell a Muslim Egyptian from a Coptic Egyptian, they look the same and they both speak Arabic. However the Coptic Christian wear on them distinguishing tokens, either they wear a crucifix around their necks or they have one tattooed on the inside right wrists. I know of a Pharmacist, a colleague, from Egypt who has a tattoo on her inside right wrist, she was the one who told me about this traditional. I would meet others who has the same tattoo.
Coptic Christianity differs from the Eastern Orthodox and Roman churches, they have their Pope and their own headquarters in Wadi Natrun which we will later visit.
The Coptic Christian area is a smaller walled area. Inside is a regular community with nunneries, churches, schools and cemeteries. We are looking over a cemetery.


























Here comes the tour buses. We took a taxi there. Most people visit Egypt, at least their first time, with a tour group. I do recommend that or you'll be scared out of your wits. I was to go on my own but later changed my mind. I had to take someone with me and I'm glad I did. Now I can go alone and not be scared.





































I saw him coming towards and took this picture. I offered him money but he refused. I don't know what he is going to do with this lamb. He is most likely a Coptic Christian. See, you can't tell until you see his tattoo.











To get to the Coptic area, one goes down this stair way and through the subteranean walkway. There are police and tourism soldiers everywhere, more so here, to protect the local economy, tourism. They are armed to the teeth and there are armored vehicles outside and bomb disposal units. Most of them are bored Egyptians, sometimes you see them napping inside their vehicles.


























"A subterranean gateway leads into the oldest part of Cairo, whose cobbled lanes flanked by high-walled houses wend between medieval churches and cemeteries. ..The most interesting of the churches is the Convent of St George". Everyone needs a patron saint. St George, the dragon slayer will do just fine. This area is also called Mari Girgis which is Arabic for St George. He was supposedly wrapped in chains when he was tortured. So there are chain wrapping symbols everywhere.















































I love a patron saint, some one who could slay my 'dragons'. reminds me of Santiago, Matamoros or St James, Moor slayer! I had a patient once who had the last name of 'Matamoros', if only he knew the origin of his name, he would have aspired to great things. In the bible, names means something and we are supposed to aspire to our namesake but today we don't even know what our name means, let alone aspire to something. I love my name, Anne was the name of Mary's mother, she is the patron saint of women. All the churches I've been to are dedicated to Mary. I did find one in Bayonne, France where there was a chapel dedicated to St Anne. I was so emotional, I was there searching for something to begin with and to happen upon a St Anne's chapel was like an answer to my prayers. I know that in Brittany, France, the cult of St Anne is huge and that will be my trip later this year.




































This is the oldest part of Cairo and there are lots of old buildings and doors that are probably from the middle ages.



















No comments: