Friday, April 24, 2009

The Coptic Christian cemetery

Around the corner in one area of the Coptic area is the Christian cemetery, this broken cross marks its entrance. I peeked into it and motioned to Sophie, 'Come on!' She asked, what is it? 'A cemetery,' I said. Imagine us being excited about cemeteries. This one was interesting, the more decrepit something is, the more curious I become. It is like Pandora's box, 'don't open it'... and all the more you want to open it. I was curious about this one.





Near the entrance was a pile of stones, it is obvious nothing is thrown away, nothing is wasted. Unlike our civilization where we chuck everything and then go to the Home Depot to get some new ones, maybe ones made in China. Who knows, some of these might have come from the pyramids.



There was this Egyptian guy working, hauling some stones to repair a tomb. I took his picture, he smiled and was pleased that I took his picture. I showed it to him on the monitor of my camera.












































An angel, but where is her head. No matter she is still there keeping watch. The Bible in Psalms says, 'we have a host of angels encamped around us'.



































He smiled as I took this picture. It was a lovely day and I thought this is the most pleasant cemetery I've ever been to, one can almost live here, it's cool and shady with wide boulevard that separate the tombs.




























This was a very modest cemetery, no sumptuous mausoleums here, no Sultans or their families, just ordinary Christians.















2 comments:

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Very interesting indeed and amazing photos.

annechung said...

Thanks, again.