Sunday, April 26, 2009

living in a cemetery

Just when I thought to myself, I could almost live here. It's cool and shady and quiet. The space between is wide and the hustle and bustle of the city is not even heard here. As I turned a corner I saw this.... clothes hung out to dry...people live here, just as they did in the Muslim cemetery that we visited a few days ago.


English... I couldn't resist. Sorry, whoever you are, I just had to take this picture. Now you are on the Internet!
























Part of the old Roman wall passes through here. Coptic Cairo is the oldest part of Cairo.







As we continue deep into this cemetery, we were met by this guy who greeted us in English. He said, he lived there on his family's tomb with his father. He was really friendly, like he needed people to visit and talk to him. He invited us into his 'home' which is above his family's tomb. His father wasn't in, maybe he is at work. This guy had a limp, so he probably couldn't find work.We followed him up the steps.









I sat on this 'couch' next to him and the three of us started chatting. Christians in Cairo are a lot nicer. it is like they want the world to remember them. They don't want to be forgotten. I will never forget this man. It reminded me about an incident years ago on my first visit to Rome. My sister and I went to a Chinese restaurant near our hotel and we met a waiter there who was also from Malaysia. Two years later I went back to the same restaurant and asked to see him. He was surprised and happy to see me. I hadn't forgotten. I hope the next time I'm in Cairo, I wouldn't be tempted to visit this guy.



















His father.






































































When we left, I slipped him a 20 Le note.















We left and continued to explore the rest of the Coptic Christian area. We stopped and listened in at a school.

















No comments: