Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Icons and ancient things

I went around and shot pictures of interesting detail, the latticework on windows, the beautiful and old carved doors, the detailed carving on the stone walls, the wood carvings on church benches..... it is so Byzantium. The details bears a lot of similarity to Byzantium art. There are iconic pictures of the Holy family everywhere. These days, people, still need their faith, especially if one lives in the minority and are oppressed. Whereas in the West, we hear of a decreasing church attendance, I'm guilty, I'm part of the millions of unchurched Christians. We are Christians and still believe with the same fervor but has not found a church we could relate to. I heard on the radio a few mornings ago, the Atheist Society are giving certificates to people who unbaptise themselves.





You're not supposed to take photographs of the police but this guy happened to get into this picture.





























The Muslims also use the Cypress tree as a symbol of life. The Cypress tree and the Cedars of Lebanon, these were the same materials they used to build the Temple in Jerusalem as is recorded in the Bible.





























This reminds me of an exhibition of Iconic art I saw in Bologna, Italy last year. It was the most beautiful exhibition I've ever seen.
























The Bible is the most translated book in the world. It still amazes me to see it in Arabic. I know of a church in Santa Monica that has Bible study classes in Arabic. This must be a Coptic Christian church.




























The ceiling reminds me of Noah's ark. The other gorgeous wooden ceiling I saw was the Duomo in Monreale, Sicily, that one was covered with the most gorgeous golden colored mosaics, another very Byzantium feature.















No comments: