Sunday, August 10, 2008

Arugula

Last year I brought back a packet of tomato seeds from Sicily, they're famed for their sweet tomatoes. I had so many tomato plants, it kept me busy all summer long. They were not spectacular, in fact very ordinary but they kept me busy. I remember biting into a tomato in Alberobello in Southern Italy, 2 years ago, it was so sweet, it was fantastic. Sicily is also famous for their sweet tomatoes but I guess I got the wrong seeds. Earlier in March, I brought back a packet of rocket seeds from Rome and planted them. They didn't sprout the first time nor the second and not the third. This is the fourth time I seeded the pot and this was all I got. It didn't look like what was pictured on the packet. There is something spiritual about going to the backyard to pick vegetables from one's garden or pots. Anyway I've been snipping off little leaves and buying some more from the market to mix in so I have enough for a salad. After a hard week at work I needed to do that, it's cheaper than shopping at the mall. This is a cheap way of unwinding for me. These plants are bitter and peppery and I love them but the bugs and worms are staying away from them, they got into my other pot of regular salad greens and ate up everything. These are great to plant, you won't get any bugs or worms. The next trip abroad I'm going to buy some more seeds.


Slim pickings!


A pizza from Bologna, Italy, scampi with rocket, it is so good. And wash it down with an Italian beer, mmmmmm, la dolce vita!



No comments: