Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Feed sacks

It's hard to imagine that feed sacks would be so popular now, it's harder to imagine they can be so beautiful, the French ones especially. They are made from flax and is very durable, the farmers use them for feed and other meal. Now they end up at flea markets and high end stores in the USA and used for the homes.
I remember years ago I was into vintage fabrics and all my money went into that. Now I have stripped the house of it, they all went into the closet. Now I'm into European feed sacks especially French feed sacks, the HUngarian ones are coarser and not as nice. Sometimes they sew them together to make a cover for the wagons to cover the produce that is being hauled to market which is what this once was in this picture. Today it is a coverlet on my bed. I didn't even wash it, I can still smell the febreze!



They are on my couch ....

They are in the closet for when I find some use for them....



They are in the bathrooms as hand towels....




They are in the kitchen as dish towels......


OMG, I'm just crazy about them.


2 comments:

ALICE APOSTLE said...

I absolutely love the look that the vintage feed sacks give, but they are so expensive.

annechung said...

Yes, they're expensive,but just a few pieces can do the job, I've seen them in magazines where they just have one piece and it makes all the difference in the look of things.