Saturday, August 02, 2008

Strawberry shortcake

The Vucciria market, Palermo, Sicily, March 2007. What am I doing? What's this got to do with strawberries? Here am I buying some fraises des bois or alpine strawberries from this Palermitano.
The white fraises des bois.

Here I have a mixture of red and white varieties. What is summer without strawberry shortcake and rather than making it using the regular strawberries, I decided to use fraises des bois. I have been on the lookout for them but they always got sold out before I could get my hands on some. The restaurant people in West Los Angeles usually snap them up. This morning I was able to procure some and I ran home to make my strawberry shortcake.






I use to cook a lot and have accumulated all kinds of batterie cuisine. I'm glad I'm finally able to use some of them now. Here is a collection of heart shaped cutters of different sizes. I have to select the size of a single serving portion.




The shortcake being cooled on top of the stove.





Cutting into individual serving portions.







The recipe calls for the mashing of some of the strawberries with a little sugar.







et voila, here it is. This one went to Valerie, my next door neighbor. She owns the house next door.







Wow! Need I say more?




















This one is mine. It has been a busy and fun morning. I had to rush out to the market for some cream to make this. It was well worth the effort. This one's for you, Dawn. As I was doing all this my sister, Dawn called from New Jersey. Wish you were here to taste it but just looking will have to suffice for now.











No comments: