Sunday, December 14, 2008

Christmas, getting ready

It's getting closer, soon, it'll be upon us. Christmas, I mean, are you ready? I'm getting there, just a few more gifts to buy and wrap, then the finalization of the menu and the shopping for the menu. My sister called, she's at a mall in her neck of the woods, New Jersey, she's shopping for gifts to bring to us. It's an exciting time of the year and my most favorite time of the year, a time to fuss a lot. I haven't been to the mall at all, as one blogger puts it, I and her are 'conscientious observers'. My stuff came from the flea markets and a few specialty stores, like the English store and the Italian store and Barnes and Noble.
English candy and Christmas crackers from the English store in Santa Monica.

Panettone and torrone from the Italian store.


Mmmmmmm, panettone, it's great for making a bread pudding, a favorite in our family.



My French heart will go on the Christmas tree.




Twelve fabric stars made from vintage linen will grace this year's tree, very homemade and homespun, no kitsch from China.












This is how I've always brought home the Christmas tree, everybody who sees it, laughs but it works. The tree guy asked if I want the tree on top of the car, I said, no, just shove it into the back seat.







Here it is, kind of sparse but it makes for easy putting up and easy taking down. Nothing to it because there's nothing on it.








A star, a star, high above the sky....









A very home spun Christmas.






















The presents grace the base of the tree. This is so much fun and so exciting. I've been using recycled packing paper as wrapping paper, saves a lot of money and it has this home spun look to it.
One doesn't have to spend a lot of money, use and reuse things like paper, use newspaper as wrapping paper, it gives this look that is priceless. Buy unusual gifts, don't be sucked into popular gift giving like the latest electronic gadget. My family will never guess what they are getting but the gifts are more meaningful than expensive.

No comments: