Monday, October 12, 2009

The changing season

Change, one thing that is certain in life, whether it be the changing season or the changing of the guards, or the changing times. We saw old Europe and we saw new Europe, we saw the opening of borders which not too recently were closed. There is a slight chill in the air even though it was still pretty warm but we knew that Fall is in the air and the season will change. As this trip drew to a close, we know that the year 2009 is drawing to a close. I'm glad I was able to pack in as much as I could handle this year, both work and travel. I know that as I'm getting up in age, the time to do anything is pretty tight. The time to do anything is now. I feel a sense of urgency in my life. The picture shows the changing of the guards at Prague castle, the Stazi, which not too recently was used to oppress the people, now is on show to 'protect' Prague castle. There is an exhibit at Prague castle on the history of the Stazi. Now tourists mill around the castle and pose for pictures with the Stazi standing at attention.
Prague and Eastern Europe, which until the Cold war ended, was a mystery to us Americans, now people from all over the world throng the old square in Prague. Literally there are people from all over the world represented here. I was surprised at the huge number of Asians that are here visiting.

There were the myriad of American icons in Eastern Europe, Mickey D is here, so is Starbucks, KFC and Burger King. This is the McDonald at Na Prikope, a very fashionable street in Prague.


A very fashionable store in Prague. Here is high fashion in Eastern Europe.



It was Ocktober fest in Munich, a sign that the year is drawing to a close. I hadn't plan on going to Ocktober fest but when we arrived at 9.30pm we happened upon it. There was ompah pah going on every where and beer drinking and a lot of merry making and guys dressed in Lederhosens and girls in dirndl...What's happening, we asked, when we arrived? Duh! Luckily we could find a room, I hadn't made any reservation for this leg of the trip.




When the apples ripen, it's the year drawing to a close. There were crab apples every where.





A pear tree, along the Thames river, in England.























In Fall the Hydrangea changes to this glorious rust color, they were every where.
Soon I have to make plans for Thanksgiving, Christmas and the New Year. I have to arrange for next year's trips also.

1 comment:

Crayons said...

Hi! These are just stunning. I lived in Europe twice (France and Italy), but I never ventured over into the Czech Republic. I like the architecture and street scenes, but especially the reds (close-ups). I also enjoyed reading your comments on change.

Thanks for your kind comment on my blog. I've been without computer and Internet for two months, so I've been absent. I'm back now!