Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Lille, France

When the cafe signs is in French, I knew we were not in England anymore. Not too many people visit Lille. It has no claim to fame except being a stop for the London to Brussels Euro star train. We were heading deep into Europe and I wanted a stop in between to avoid the very long train trip. So I picked Lille, just to stop for a day to stretch our legs before heading to Munich. I could have chosen Strasbourg, France but we were staying in Strasbourg for a few days on the way back. It has a huge TGV station and one can make train connections to anywhere in France from here.

It is a nice French city, not too busy, very dignified and has a beautiful old quarter.






























































Being so close to Belgium, it looked and felt more like a Belgian city. It reminded me of Nice, Nice is French but feels like Italy because of it close proximity to Italy and it's cosmopolitan mix of people gives it a totally different feel. I like Lille.











No comments: