Thursday, October 08, 2009

Petersham Nurseries, continue....

I receive emails from this place from time to time. I know of their fight with their local town council. Richmond is an idyllic city just outside of London and they want to keep it that way. A big commercial enterprise like Petersham Nurseries could mean a lot of motor traffic thus clogging the narrow streets of Richmond. I could see it even now, I've experienced the traffic problems at the end of day hours. This is already affecting the quality of life in Richmond. However the Richmond city council has extended the lease for Petersham Nurseries to continue to operate. The nursery people begs visitors not to drive there if at all possible, but to take local and public transportation or just walk there. The tube line, the District line, takes you to Richmond train station, from there it is a half hour walk , along the Thames or a very short ride on bus 65. On a fine day, the walk is the loveliest thing to do. On the way back, we did walk a little, we got off the bus just before the train station and walked the rest of the way.
It is the time of Japanese Anemones.

Also a time of crab apples.
























Another visitor who was having tea with her friend.



























Life is so amazing. One day you are looking at pictures of a place and think, one day I'll make the trip to see it in person..... then you are there in person. Imagine my joy that day. I'm in Petersham Nurseries. (http://www.petershamnurseries.com) My first trip to London was ten years ago. English gardens has always been a rage and that time, the garden du jour was Sissinghurst which I went to visit with my aunt and cousin. Cousin Rebecca took the day off from work to take us there. It was a lovely visit. Today it is Petersham Nurseries.









No comments: