Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Kougelhopf and other pastries

Kougelhopf has spelled so many ways that few people actually know which is the correct spelling. This is the correct spelling. It is made in a bundt tin. I read recently the origin of the bundt tin, it originated in Vienna, Austria. After the defeat of the Ottoman Turks, the Viennese bakers made a tin like a turban turned upsidedown, hence a bundt tin and they make a cake called the Kougelhopf to celebrate. In the Alsace area of France they make Kougelhopf differently, instead of a cake it is a bread, it is a brioche. Both are delicious.

Le Kougelhopf, Oui!

Like in Munich, gingerbread cookies is everywhere.





I had wanted to bring home a kougelhopf pan but they were so bulky and heavy, I changed my mind. I bought one recently from my local store. I have yet to make a kougelhopf, maybe soon.



Plums are plentiful in the Alsace area and plum tarts are in every pastry store.

This is the premier area in France for blueberries.








I've always wanted to eat kougelhopf, I finally did, in both Vienna and in the Alsace area of France.

1 comment:

Merisi said...

The Viennese have various recipes for Guglhupf (as it is written here). The classic ones are the marble cake, a chocolate marbled one similar to pound cake, and a yeast dough - brioche one with raisins, and whole almonds placed in at the bottom of the pan. There are so many more varieties, some with nuts, even one with four different fillings.