Friday, April 22, 2011

A fall

 I spotted my first red poppy and I got really excited. It was in a patch of dirt that was overgrown with weeds and other wild flowers. It was really a dumping place for construction material, loose dirt, loose gravel and rocks. But it was so beautiful. A group of students were already there, taking photos and sketching. I wanted to join them and have a closer look at the poppies. There was a short ledge that I had to step down on.....



 The students were scattered all over and everyone was having a good time. It was a beautiful afternoon.


 I squatted down and stuck my right foot down the ledge, the dirt was loose and I slipped and before I knew it, I rolled down the ledge. I remember rolling down side by side with a rock and I remember striking my left temple against it. I thought to myself, 'I just hit my head on the rock.' Then I thought ' that's good.... I'm still aware of what was happening.... I hadn't blacked out...' All the boys ran to my assistance, helped me up and gave me tissues to clean myself with.' I was a mess, with dirt and grass stuck to me everywhere. I wasn't hurt, I was really shaken up. I had my backpack on my back, that rolled with me. I looked at my camera, 'Oh God, I must have broken it, it was all covered with grass and dirt. I cleaned them off and miraculously it wasn't broken. Thank God, I wasn't hurt. Where would I get help? It was a frightening experience.
 Here you can see the stalks of the poppies being flattened by me.
 All, on the quest of the ubiquitous red poppy.



Then I recovered and it was onward and forward.

No comments: