Wednesday, April 06, 2011

The spiritual meadow












I quote from John Moschos book, 'The spiritual meadow' in which he writes....
'In my opinion the meadow in spring present a particularly delightful prospect. They display to the beholder a rich diversity of flowers which arrests him with its charm, for it brings delight to his eyes and perfume to his nostrils. One part of this meadow blushes with roses, in another place lilies predominate, drawing one's attention to themselves and away from the roses. In another part the color of violets blazes out resembling the imperial purple. In short, the diversity and variety of innumerable flowers afford delights both to nostrils and to eyes on every side.
Think of the present work in the same way, my sacred and faithful child. For in it you will discover the virtues of holy men who have distinguished themselves in our own times,men as the psalmist says, 'planted by the waterside Psalm 1:3'. They are all beloved by God , yet there was a diversity in the virtues from which the beauty and the charm of each derived. From among these I have plucked the finest flowers of the unmown meadow and worked them into a crown which I now offer to you and through you to the world at large.
I have called this work 'meadow' on account  of the delight, the fragrance and the benefit which it will afford those who come across it......"
John Moschos traveled the Levant to all the religious sites and met with various holy men in their daily practise of a holy life and the diversity is like a meadow in spring filled with different kinds of flowers, each offering their delight. I read this before I left and when I saw the diversity of wild flowers it brought me back to his book, 'The spiritual meadow.'

No comments: