Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Nothing ever changes


Looking at these recent pictures reminded me of my first foray into France some ten years ago. I've never traveled till then and when I did, it was a mad dash because I've so much to make up for. I remember some friends and I decided we'll take a trip together to the south of France but when the time came to go, one by one changed their mind. I became the only one who left on that trip and I planned for myself a very simple itinerary, heading for Nice and Avignon and whatever lies in between. It was a life changing trip and I've not stopped traveling since then. I remember the few days spent in Avignon. Every morning I walked to the train station, looked up on the board and see where the next train was headed for, I would take it and go. I went to Arles, I went to Marseilles and I went to Aix en Provence. Before the train left the station I would go to the cafe, ordered a coffeee and a pastry and munch as I waited. It would be the blackest coffee because the only French word I knew then was 'coffee' or something like that, they would just give me a black coffee. I point to a pastry and order one.
Nothing has changed, these days I'm doing the same thing, head for the train station, eat at Paul's (they are in every train station in France and everywhere else), order a black coffee and a brioche and munch while waiting for the train. The only change is, these days I'm in a different area in France.

1 comment:

Merisi said...

So brave of you to travel on your own, but right you are! I have done that often, later alone with the children and it was always a very good experience.