Monday, June 07, 2010

Donkeys


Since time immemorial, the donkey has been a mean of transportation. It is amazing to still see that they are being used for just that today in spite of the availability of the combustion engine. One of the oldest book, the bible mentioned the donkey all the time. Only the Pharoahs rode on horses and the conquering armies of the Romans. The rest of the common folk used donkeys. Mary and Joseph rode on donkeys to go to Bethlehem, to go to Egypt and back. Here in Morroco, as in many places in the world, the work horse is still the humble donkey. My work horse is my computer terminal. Here I make hundreds of thousands of dollars tapping on a key board. What a contrast. We took so many pictures of donkeys and people on donkeys. We rode donkeys to get over to the kasbah. The picture at the top of this post is the donkey I rode on, he's a baby. His hair is so soft. I love the colorful blankets that they use as saddles. It wasn't very effective because I still felt his bony back. There's a donkey jam at the river at the kasbah, beats a traffic jam anytime!

No comments: