Thursday, February 17, 2011

Favorite pictures, 4 Sicily

 Here in Catania, Sicily, standing outside our hostel which was a converted palazzo. There is an incredible place in the world called Sicily. A few years ago, we made 2 trips there, one in March and a second trip in October of the same year. I was so enthralled with Sicily, I just had to return. It's always hard to return anywhere because there are too many places in the world to visit. To make 2 visits in the same year makes the place very very special. I only lament that I haven't found time to go back for a third time. (3 cheers for Fontanarossa airport in Catania) It takes 3 flights to get to Catania from Los Angeles. But we did it. It was so worth the flying.
This is Ragusa Ibla, the old town of Ragusa.



 The very baroque cathedral in Acireale. Here we were, taking the train and walking this long stretch to get to the cathedral, 2 Oriental women, in a completely Sicilian backwater town called Acireale. I was into baroque architecture and had to travel the world to get my fix and I got it in Sicily. Now I'm into Byzantine churches and frescoes. I am very fickle and I love it.
 The Vucciria market in Palermo. I love Palermo. I wish I can find the time to return soon.
 The area at the foot of Mt Etna in March, completely covered in snow. In Catania we stayed in this rinky dink palazzo. They had a rooftop terrace with a view of Mt Etna. That was really something.

 Taormina......

 Noto.....a really sumptuous baroque city.
 High baroque churches...
 Giacomo Serpotta, one cannot visit Palermo without knowing this name, an incredible sculptor whose work is found in a lot of churches in Palermo.

here am I waiting for Monreale to reopen after the lunch break.


 The Greek ruins in Agrigento.
Cefalu, the very Byzantine cathedral in Cefalu. It was raining and being at the coast, the wind was whipping up and our umbrellas were twisting this way and that. We had to throw away 2 umbrellas.
If you haven't been to Sicily, your next trip's gotta be Sicily.

No comments: