Monday, October 26, 2015

Stavanger, Norway

If you are just now following this blog, I took a 3 month trip starting June 3rd, 2015 and finishing at the end of August. I posted everyday during those 3 months from wherever I was. I had my computer with me and my camera. I'm now revisiting the places I went to in no particular order. I knew it will be expensive in the summer months and also crowded. It wasn't anymore costly or anymore crowded. I did get locked out of hostels because of the crowds but there were always hotels. So by using a mixture of hotels and hostels I was able to bring the cost of travel down even though I went to some of the world's most expensive places and at the peak of the tourist season. The sun shone for most days but in between it rained. The best thing for the rain is a rain poncho, it covered my back pack which had my camera equipment, it covered my camera but I was able to expose it to take pictures even through the rain. I went through 5 cheap rain ponchos. I lost the one I brought with me, a gift from a friend who bought it in Seattle, Washington, I left that on a bench at a Finnish train station. The rest ripped but I still brought one home with me which is sturdier and I will use that for my next trip. I spent a few days in Stavanger, Norway. There's no easy way to go to Stavanger. I took the bus from Bergen, a 5 hour trip which I thought would be boring. There's nothing boring about Norway even on the longest train or bus ride! I was never bored. We had 2 ferry crossings on this bus, I met a girl from England and we kept each other company. We had to get out of the bus and wait in the upstairs sitting room that also had a restaurant, we ate lunch on the ferry before finally reaching Stavanger. You have to go to Stavanger if you want to climb Preikestolen or Pulpit rock.It is a very laid back city with a stunning old town.

No comments: