Saturday, October 31, 2015

The Temple garden, London

Tucked in a little area and next to the Thames is an area of London called 'the Temple'. This was named after the Knights Templars, this was their headquarters when they were active. Today it is a very exclusive area, full of law offices and a law school. The lawyers who practice here are called Temple lawyers and they usually deal with human rights cases. Amal Clooney is a Temple lawyer. When I met my cousin Robert for lunch a few days after my visit here and told him, he said, 'I'm also a Temple lawyer!' I didn't know that because all my life, my aunt, his mother, has always joked that his human rights cases never got him rich. Anyway his wife is a corporate lawyer in London and he doesn't have to worry. But between those massive and impressive buildings is a sizable garden, with lush lawns, oak trees and some lovely herbaceous borders. After ploughing through all the magnificent sights in London, one longs for a little respite, a country garden, to sit and ponder, have tea or lunch and enjoy doing nothing, it is still possible to do this in the middle of London. The garden was actually closed at the time of my visit but they were in there preparing for an event and I snook in. I'm glad I did.

No comments: