Thursday, May 13, 2010

The souk in Marrakech

After the souk in Fes, we were a little tired of souks. It is huge in Marrakech because Marrakech is a big medina. It's red walls span 16km with various gates or Bab leading into the medina. We stayed at a riad on Rue Riad Zitoun, it's kind of the main drag. I'm great with maps but not in Marrakech, the guide books says, just lose your sense of direction because direction is impossible in Marrakech. Looking at a map of this city just leaves me as baffled as if I never saw one. Each time we leave our riad, I still have to ask, is Jemaa el fna on the left or on the right? We didn't get to spend too much time in the medina, we took lots of trips outside the city. Our riad knew of taxi drivers who took us out to the countryside. We were kept really busy in Marrakech. I love Marrakech. It's a really fun city. I'd come back again and again.

No comments: