Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Anatolian hospitality


 We waited in the 'parlor' while lunch is being cooked. Actually Lorraine from the hotel we were staying at in Goreme had already packed a lunch for us but we didn't eat it. I don't know what happened to Lorraine's lunch, we left it in the car. She is from Canada but has stayed on in Goreme. Now she helps out at the hotel doing parlor maid chores. I guess our modern life is so hard pressed that we're always tempted to stay on in the places we vacation in, Turkey especially because the locals are so welcoming. Little do we know that these are the same ancient 'horse traders' as Bernd calls them. They know how to 'talk' to foreigners. Three things Turkish people learn in school, first- Turkish, second-English and third- how to 'talk' to foreigners. (mostly talk them out of their money) There's a term for it in the US, it's called 'putz.' Turkey is full of delights, do not be afraid to visit but have clear personal goals before you visit and don't be dissuaded from them.

 The lady of the house rushed out into the garden to pick fresh chillies, tomatoes and cucumbers and cooked up this delicious egg dish. We polished off every thing with some delicious local bread.



I would have loved to linger but the time was for moving on. Do not get irritated and hate your country, hate your boss, hate your job, hate everything in the world because you have to rush off so quickly. Without your home country, your boss, your job and all those responsibilities at home, there wouldn't be any travel like this. Somehow we must strike a balance. It is hard, it was hard to leave. Even now as I read other people's account of their successful stints living abroad and there are success stories, I get wistful and wish that could be me. Meanwhile I'm back home, trudging to work, work those long and godawful hours in sweat shop like conditions..... and I think, pretty soon I'll be out there again, somewhere in another corner of the globe. It's all gonna be worth it!
I have a plumber working on my sewage system right now, talk about a godawful job!

No comments: