Sunday, January 30, 2011

Augsburg









Here we are, continuing our trip on Germany's Romantic Road, from Fussen we went to Augsburg. I had forgotten the name of this place and had to consult the guidebook. We went to so many places that I can't keep track of it. We stayed at another Youth hostel. Again we were lucky we were the only 2 people in the room. We weren't going to be lucky at the next place. All nine beds were occupied and I had to climb onto the top bunk. But at 25 euros a night with breakfast, we couldn't pass it up. Traveling is expensive, very very expensive. I have to dine on Ramen noodles almost everyday (not really) but I do without a lot of fashion and fashionable stuff. I've not been in a mall in years, I mend my socks and underwear (almost). I drive an old car which I was thinking of replacing with a newer one until I saw my insurance renewal bill...... at $326 per 6 months, why get a newer car and pay higher insurance premiums? I'll keep the old jalopy for a few more years. I don't have cable, I get my news and entertainment from Youtube. It's a little pathetic but I love it. I owe $27,000 on my mortgage.....that's the most amazing and the most thrilling. In 9 and 1/2 years I almost paid off $350,000! I worked my butt off, I saved, and saved and saved some more.I am so strong, I have a 'steel rod' running down my spine!
Life is tough and getting tougher. I had my boss come down on me twice the past few months for missing a very mnor matrix. It's not enough getting your sales numbers up, they have all kinds of matrix they measure and could get you in hot soup for missing the mark on it. We have people quit because they could stand the pressure. One needs to be really thick skinned, thin skin people will not survive the new work environment.
What's this got to do with traveling? It's all tied in. I can take the pressure at work because I need the money to travel. Sometimes when I feel like throwing in the towel, I ask myself, 'what about Greece?' And I stop myself and go back to work.
Anyway, back to Augsburg, it's pretty enough. But the French villages are prettier and are more charming. We needed to get back to Amsterdam and going through the Romantic Road seems like a fun thing to do. The next stop is Rothenburg de Tauber and that is really pretty.

1 comment:

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

It does look a nice place.