Saturday, January 08, 2011

Spring 2011

While the rest of the USA is still under deep layers of snow, we, in Southern California is experiencing Spring. The Narcissus in my yard is already in bloom. Spring, for me, means getting ready for the travel season. In March, I leave for Athens and the Peloponnese. Mystra, in the Peloponnese was the last Byzantine capital after the fall of Constantinople and that is where I'll be exploring. There is a Byzantine museum in Athens which I'm interested in. While researching for this trip, I'm also doing research on the next trip, to Eastern Turkey. Unfortunately I only have time to flirt with these places, making whistle stops here and there. Maybe one day I'll have time to do more extensive exploration to all these places. Definitely Eastern Turkey needs a lot of time, to explore the ancient Armenian churches and the Georgian churches, to see the remains of old churches that once stood proudly in a very remote area. A place where once the worship of the Christian God was important.
I'm only able to travel because of my job, the high paying job that I have, that is getting tougher and tougher each day. I work so I can travel, I travel so I can work. There is a symbiotic relationship here.

No comments: