Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Haho monastery


















It was apparent that this place has not seen any visitors in a while. It was overgrown with trees and shrubs and there were no tracks anywhere. It wasn't easy to find it and we almost missed it. I must be crazy to have gone half the world just to see this ruin. It was converted to a mosque at one time and it seems that there are frescoes still inside but it was locked tight and we had no way of getting in. So we wandered around the perimeter to see the exterior of the church and the little chapels near it. It was built in the 10th century by a Georgian king. The dome is still intact and beautiful with ble tiles glistening in the sun. To find out more, click here http://www.choruh.com/en/tarih/kiliseler/the-monastery-of-haho-hahuliI was now very happy, at least, it wasn't a wasted trip. By now some of the villagers came by to chat and I mentioned to them another name 'OsVank'. They started in Turkish about it and I motioned to my taxi driver, 'now we go look for OsVank.' I motioned to him to get instructions from the villagers on how to get there. It is just further along on the main road and on to another turn off. He nodded his head and I wrote on a piece of paper the amount of Turkish Liras I'm going to add on if he gets us to OsVank! He nodded and off we went looking for the other old Georgian church that I came to see.

No comments: