Thursday, July 14, 2011

On our way to Eszurum


Here is what I wrote in my journal..... we are at the otogar in Trabzon going on a bus heading for Eszurum. It's pretty much like the Greek bus system, with assigned seating. It is well organised. The boys are real troopers, they're enjoying the adventure. We bought the tickets at a travel agent near our hotel and a mini bus picked us up and dropped us off at the otogar. I've done planes, trains and buses, no ferries yet, maybe in future. Our first stop is outside a bread shop and some of us are rushing to buy fresh bread. Now the bus conductor is handing out snacks and drinks and we even have an entertainment screen in front of us. I see bright yellow flowers along the roadside, purple lupines too. The hillside looks like a Swiss countryside. What a treat, its wild flower season in Eastern Turkey. I see rhododendrons and dogwood. The hills are a rolling green with patches of pine trees. I see masses of yellow wild flowers making a yeallow carpet up above the distant hills. It's such a beautiful countryside and this is where? Turkey? It would indeed be wild flower season and the whole area is just covered. The roadside is decorated with colorful wild flowers and it was so delightful. The best time to visit is June. I couldn't believe my good fortue but I kept praying and I was not disappointed. The wild flowers were everywhere. Ari complained, 'you have too many pictures of the flowers.' One can never have too many.

No comments: