Saturday, October 08, 2011

Modernity?





This is a homemade grill, this and so many improvised equipment makes this part of Western China going and trying to catch up. What I miss about home when I travel is not just our fast Internet though I do get terrific Internet service in Morocco and Turkey (not in China because of censorship) but our plumbing system. Our showers have reliable hot water and drains. Most places we've stayed in are cheap flea pits and the plumbing is not up to snuff. The shower pan is usually an afterthought and the whole bathroom gets wet and plugged up. I don't have to dry myself off after a shower, I have to mop the bathroom floor as well. I haven't experience camping or trekking yet and I'm sure there is lots to write about there regarding the lack of modern services.

No comments: