Monday, October 03, 2011

Strange food

 That's the beauty about traveling, the sight, smell and taste of strange food that assault your senses. You wonder 'who in this world eats those kinds of things. I wondered too when I saw these live crabs, we're so far from the sea. I read somewhere these are found in rice fields. They are so small, there's no meat in them. I saw them all fried up in Beijing. I think they are eaten whole like soft shell crabs. I saw a documentary a few weeks ago that there's no species as soft shell crab, the crabs are caught when they have just shed off their hard shell and for short period of time in their lives their new shell is soft. I've had a soft shell crab sandwich years ago and it was delicious. I don't know about these critters.


Rambutans. What? They are good.
Jack fruit, huh?
These are food I'm accustomed to, we have them growing up in Borneo.If we are opened to experiences like these, we can enjoy life better. There's no cappucino, no fancy pasta, no strawberries.... I grew up on rambutans, jack fruit and durian and this was like a homecoming for me.

No comments: