Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Try this on for size



 There  was a rack of costumes that we as visitors could try on and be a Kazakh and have our picture taken. Of course we have this brave Chinese lady who did just that. I told her to spread the skirt both ways and hence this picture.
We could have our picture taken with the real Kazakhs as well. The fun part of this trip was the added bonus of interacting with other minorities of China and Chinese people from other parts of China who form part of our group. We were the only two foreigners. When I was at the travel agent signing up for this tour, the guy asked me to sign my name, I did.... annechung.. he saw it wasn't in Chinese...he muttered under his breath....foreigner! I don't remember how to write my name in Chinese, I did learn as a child but that was a long time ago. We were at the Urumqi museum chatting with a local Chinese guy... Sophie speaks, reads and writes Chinese...once in a while she'll turn to me to explain the conversation in English. The local guy looked at me....funny...what's wrong with her (me). He couldn't understand that I'm in all appearances a Chinese but with no skill or knowledge of the language.

No comments: