Saturday, May 14, 2011

An evening stroll in Athens

 We started to stroll the area around the base of the Acropolis and it was so pleasant. I do love Athens and I do love Greece. All we know about Greece is their financial troubles but Greece is so much more than that. A country filled with ancient treasures, culture and history.


While the Acropolis was closed there were still a lot of places to explore nearby. Next to it is a slightly raised area with incredible views of the city of Athens and also a view of the Acropolis up above. There were a whole bunch of us taking pictures and I love the requests to take other visitors' pictures. They hand you their cameras so you can use them to take their pictures. It was so wonderful. I feel bad that I'm traveling so much but when I come back with pictures and stories, I don't feel so bad. Where will get these stories and pictures? A staycation? Is that a joke?
 This is a view of the Acropolis from below.

 A view of the city of Athens

 A view of the ancient Agora and the ancient Greek temple in the Agora area. You can spot an old Byzantine church in the fore ground. So many layers of history.....so incredible.
 Yours truly....
Sophie....
Athens is a magnificent place. Even now the Greek financial crisis looms large on everyones' mind.

No comments: