Thursday, May 26, 2011

Not every church needs to be adorned





The very bare and stark interior of San Cataldo in Palermo, Sicily. Notice there is a film crew outside when we visited. Most people would have seen the church with the three red domes. It was the only church with paid admission. It is special because this was the church of the crusaders, they stopped here on their way to the Holy land  when they pray for victory and a safe return. On their way back they give thanks that they are still alive to make the trip home. There was nothing in the church, just bare walls and ceiling but it was here that I was most moved. There was nothing to detract our attention, just quietness to comtemplate the meaning of our faith and to think about the men before us who went to the Holy land to keep it safe for pilgrims, which was the original intention of the crusades. Whenever I'm asked about my most favorite place in the world, I always say, 'Sicily.' After all these years and all the places I've been to, I still say 'Sicily.'

No comments: