Friday, May 27, 2011

Of course, I'll just go




 A baroque high church
a church covered with dazzling mosaics
 a highly sculptured church
Whatever they believe in, is not half measures. Everything is over the top and gloriously so. I'm writing about Palermo, Sicily. Byzantine churches mixed in with Baroque ones, Sicily was its own master and the Sicilians, while being part of Italy are different. I read from Sicilyscene that the Sicilian dialect is going to be taught in Sicilian schools. That's wonderful news, its always sad that some languages in the world are going to die out. Just as with endangered species, some languages are endangered. While the written Chinese language is the same, the spoken dialects are different. Someone speaking Cantonese will read the Chinese characters in Cantonese while a Mandarin speaker will read them in Mandarin. It is the most amazing thing. Its written the same but spoken in different dialects. Cantonese is common in Southern China while Mandarin is common in the North. I read somewhere the North Mandarin speakers have trouble communicating with their Southern counterparts. When we first went to Sicily, I was so intrigue by the fact that Sicilians have their own travel documents and it is recognised in Europe.
I remember when we first told friends that we're going to Sicily, everyone was surprised, 'why Sicily, they asked?' It's as if there isn't anything in Sicily. How would they know, they haven't been there? The right thing to say is, 'why not.' Why not Sicily. I guess all anyone know about Sicily was the poverty and how so many of them left to go to America. But Sicily hasn't always been poor. There were a time when Sicily was so very prosperous as evident in the glorious churches, palaces and villas. And the wonderful thing is they are all still there for visitors to go see. This reads like I'm paid to promote Sicily. No, I'm doing it for free. I'll just keep on going, keep on traveling.
I just checked the Turkish Airlines website, we're all set to go to Turkey for the second time next month. To Eastern Turkey this time. A friend in Istanbul just emailed for us to be careful, there might be PKK activity there, they kidnap tourists. I told one of my nephews who will be traveling with us, 'hey, if that happens, there'll be a book in there...' PKK are the Kurdish separatists movement fighting for a Kurdish state.

No comments: